The effective work of a trucking company depends on the following factors: an experienced driver, special vehicles and a qualified dispatcher. Some people underestimate the importance of dispatching services. However, they play a big role in how quickly and qualitatively the cargo will be delivered.
Is it possible to find cargo on your own without a dispatcher?
Of course, a haulage company can search for freight on its own. But this is only possible for a firm that has been in the market for a long time and has a number of clients. It will be difficult for little-known start-up companies to search for good freight on their own.
It is no less difficult for private carriers to search for freight. This applies to drivers who have their own transport and want to engage in cargo transportation independently. Large companies often do not want to entrust their cargo to unknown carriers.
You can search for freight on the various exchanges. However, this is quite a long and time-consuming process. From the large list of tasks you need to choose exactly those that are suitable and can be done.
An experienced dispatcher speeds up the process of finding cargo for transportation. He knows where and how to look for loads that pay well. Has a well-established mechanism of effective work.
What are the advantages of involving dispatchers in the company:
- Precise management of cargo movement. Planning the route, notification of repairs on the roads, dangerous areas (for example, with low bridges, where the truck may not pass).
- Selection of good, expensive cargo. This is a benefit for the dispatcher, driver, and the company as a whole.
- Supervising the drivers’ work. Planning the time of unloading/loading of goods.
- Communicating with the broker. Discussing terms of cooperation, cost of services, necessary terms of delivery, etc.
- Distribution of cargoes among several drivers. The dispatcher divides the cargo between the trucks so that they don’t stand and drive empty.
How to hire a good dispatcher?
When choosing a dispatcher for a company, you should pay attention to the following aspects:
- Work experience. Not necessarily a lot, but if the dispatcher has worked in a similar position for at least six months it will be a significant plus.
- Communicability and rapport. This is important because a dispatcher’s job involves frequent contact with different people.
- Knowledge of necessary computer programs and foreign languages. They are necessary for full-fledged work.
- References. For example, from previous employers or companies with which the dispatcher cooperated.
Dispatchers provide the search for cargo and create the conditions for its transportation. The dispatcher is a kind of freight manager. He selects the cargo, communicates with the driver, helps to plan the route. It is safe to say that a competent dispatcher increases the profit of the company. That is why dispatching services are necessary for companies which are engaged in freight forwarding.